Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 3: A Favorite Book

The Inimitable Jeeves
by P.G. Wodehouse


Ah, Bertie Wooster and his brilliant butler, Jeeves. What can I say? I have a weakness for British humor. If you do not like British humor, don’t go near this book. A lighthearted read that is quirky and has plenty of random plot twists. Jeeves is the epitome butler and, in my opinion, one of the most memorable literary characters ever created. The book might be compared to an unpolished gem – by this I mean that it seems hastily and/or haphazardly written, but remains delightful. Most of the people are satires or caricatures of reality. Jeeves is elegant, impeccable, very brainy, and indispensable in a pinch. Bertie is a rather common and naïve man who also tends toward bad taste in fashion. Full of British slang and customs, laughable characters, and awkward predicaments.

This book is a charming waste of time and I enjoyed it very much. To any who wondered, P.G. stands for Pelham Grenville.

1 comment:

  1. Jeeves and Wooster are the world's most brilliant comedy pair, in my humble opinion. ;) One of my favorite short stories is Jeeves and the Old School Chum

    ReplyDelete